March 18, 2015

Pi Day French Silk Pie Fail....

Hey there, with a title like that how can you not get excited? If you follow me on Facebook then you know that the pie I made for Pi day failed horribly. It happens sometimes, I'm just glad that I tried this recipe out before I could have brought it anywhere. That would have just been embarrassing.


French Silk Pie (Company's Coming, Chocolate Everything, p.138)                                          

Filling:
1/2 cup margarine                                              1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla                                                      3 eggs
3 sq. unsweetened chocolate squares                   1 baked pie shell

Topping:
1 envelope dessert topping                                  1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla 

Cream margarine, sugar and vanilla in large bowl.  


Melt chocolate in medium glass bowl over hot water, beat into margarine mixture.

 

Add eggs, one at a time and beat on medium for 5 minutes after each addition. Mixture should me thick and smooth.


Turn into baked pie shell and chill at least 5 hours. I let my chill for 9 hours before moving on to the topping.


For the topping beat the topping mix, milk and vanilla in a small bowl until stiff. Spoon over the pie mixture.



This is right about where I knew something might be fishy, since the topping sunk into the pie a touch. But, having faith I kept going. Garnish with shaved chocolate if desired. I let the pie chill for another 18 hours before cutting into it. This is what the picture looks like in the recipe book:



Looks really good right? Well, here is how mine turned out:



Complete baking fail. I followed the recipe exactly, so I'm not sure what happened. I looked around a little and this is a very common recipe so I am pretty sure that I somehow goofed. The only difference I could find was that this one called for margarine and all the others were butter.

Maybe I will try this again with butter next time. Hopefully then I can have my silky chocolate pie that I was craving. Anyone have any luck with making a french silk pie? Or did you guys fail like me? Feel free to share!

Kerby

No comments:

Post a Comment