October 10, 2011

Before & After - Basement Stairs

Hello all, and Happy Thanksgiving to those that are celebrating it!

Well I thought I would show you another B.I.B. (before I blogged) before and after transformations that I did in the house. I am telling you its BIB so you will excuse the lack of pictures.

I think every person in existence was inspired by Sarah's stair transformation here. Seriously, my inspiration to do anything around my house. I started thinking....if Sarah can do it, there's a pretty good chance I won't fail horribly at it too! No seriously, that's what I thought!.

First, I think I will show you my after, then start with the before.



Aren't the gorgeous?!? Love them! I don't even want to show you the before pictures!! Let me dive back into my pictures and see if I can bring the horrible back.

Here is a picture of the stairs when we moved in. They we this horrible old dirty blue carpet.


I actually think this may be the only picture I took of the stairs before because I hated them so much! You can see the yellow walls and cement floor here better. Nice eh'?

First thing we did was rip out the carpet and hope there was real stairs underneath. I was pretty sure there was by the age of our house and the fact that there is original hardwood still in the house. Guess what....guessed right!



This picture is after I took about 10,467 staples out of the stairs. Okay slight exaggeration, maybe 10,457 staples. Seriously, whoever put this carpet in wanted it to stay for-Eva! And we also sanded it down quite a bit.
Then I wanted to stain. I figured is was easier to get paint off of stain than the other way around. Maybe I was wrong, but that's how I roll. But I decided to do the steps in two stages. So I taped everything off, then marked the steps I could walk on. Dummy proof here is the way to go.



Husband was very confused when he got home! After these steps were nice and dry, I did the opposite steps.




These we only after the first coat of stain. I believe I did four in total. We did get a darker stain along the outside of the stairs, but I really like it. I like that it acts as a runner for the stairs, and adds character. I have a 90lb dog, nothing is perfect in my house and these fit right in.

Next, I painted everything else white! Buh-bye wood trim! I loved the trim when we first moved into the house. Thought it made out house look different, now I just think it makes the house look dark and dated. But here is the white paint.


Like I said, darker but you can see the difference if you look closely to the sides of the stairs. I love them though, so much better than what we had. Here are a few more after pictures, in case you forgot how rockin' my stairs are now.



So there it is! My beautiful stairs. So much better than how they started, just showing you that everything has potential!

Have you done any stair makeovers? I would love to see!

K.
Linking to: Stories A2Z
Thrifty Decor Chick - April Before & After 

5 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I'm always so impressed with these stair makeovers! Now, can you come over and work on my stairs? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I posted about our basement stairs last month. I Painted our steps because the wood was not the nicest. I did strip and stain the steps for our main floor. I did a post on those also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!! How long did it take to finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianna,

      I believe the whole process took about 7 days, allowing drying in between the coats of stain.

      Delete