August 27, 2016

Zucchini brownies

Hello everyone and welcome back! Good thing you're here because boy are you in for a treat! Today I am sharing a recipe for some really yummy healthly-ish brownies.

A few weeks ago I asked Luis to bring some fruits and vegetables home from the farm stand that he drives by on his way home from work. He said they had zucchini and I was in, because who doesn't love zucchini bread? Well I definitely wasn't expecting what he brought home. They were two for a dollar and this was one of the ones he decided to bring home.



Sorry for the iPhone picture, but I had to share this with a few people and it's the only picture I managed to take. And yes, that is a bunch of bananas for size comparison. I ended up with 8 and a half cups of grated and drained zucchini. Holy man was that a lot of work, and I don't plan on doing that again anytime soon. Seriously. Though probably the best fifty cents ever spent by my husband.

So off to Pinterest I went and I came across this zucchini brownie recipe and it seemed like a much better idea than bread. It only used 1 cup of grated zucchini, so I ended up freezing the rest in 1 cup portions for future recipes.



The original recipe calls for using a 9x9 baking pan, but I used an 8x8 pan because for the life of me I cannot find my 9x9 pan. So I adjusted my baking time and it was 40 minutes instead of the 25 minutes until a toothpick was clean when tested.

This was much more cake like for a brownie than I usually make, and I loved it. You couldn't even tell that there was zucchini in there, which is the best way to sneak vegetables to those who don't like to voluntarily eat them. Luis brought a few to work and the guys loved them and didn't believe that they were zucchini brownies, and one guy actually preferred these as well. Quite the compliment to this recipe. 



I love brownies, and this was a nice way to make a healthier version for my family. I didn't even make the accompanying frosting recipe included with the original recipe, though I think that would have made these a one sitting treat. And like I said before, what a great way to sneak some vegetables to your kids or spouse that won't eat them any other way.



I have a feeling this recipe will start to be my go-to brownie recipe when zucchini is in season. I'm sure this could be made even healthier with a few substitutions, and maybe one day I'll try that. But for now I'm just going to enjoy the fact that there are "healthy" brownies in my house.

Do you guys have any zucchini recipes that are to die for? Please share them because I need to use this zucchini up! 

Kerby

Linking to:
Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday #286
Tatertots & Jello - Link Party Palooza 12/16/16 
Two Chicks and a Mom - Funtastic Friday #112 
eighteen25 - Show & Tell #13 

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing this with us @FuntasticFriday!

    ReplyDelete