August 23, 2016

DIY Door Signs

Hello everyone and welcome back! Summer is almost over and I am desperately trying to get some last minute crafts done before the crazy seasons start to happen. We have Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas and two birthdays in the next four months! I think we may just be crazy people.

Anyway, I have had this on my to do list for some time now, and I finally found the wood I was looking for to get it done. I love the idea of having door signs on kids rooms for a few reasons: 1. Kids get used to seeing their names and start to associate it with themselves; 2. Other people (and kids) know whose room it is because they can see it on the door; and 3. If there was ever an emergency it is easy to identify where the children's rooms are located. 

I would love to use vinyl down the road when we replace our doors, but who know when that will be. Doors are expensive people, I had no idea. But for now, these cute little signs will do the trick.

 

You will need a few things, so head to the craft store to grab them. 

You will need:
- Balsa wood (found at craft stores)
- White spray paint
- Name printed in font choice
- Pencil
- Paint (in colour of your choosing)

Here is what the balsa wood looks like when you grab it at the craft store. I can't remember the size that I chose, but there are a few so choose the one that fits your door the best.



Lightly sand the top and all edges of the wood to remove any rough spots. Next give one side about four coats of spray paint. I chose to hand paint the sides of the wood to save myself some spray paint for another project. You can do this either way, just wait the full curing time as per the spray paint to be safe.




Once your wood is dry and ready to be painted you will want to choose a font for your child's name. I choose Waltograph because who doesn't love Disney letters?



Print this on regular paper and shade the back of the names with the side of you pencil. Make sure you have an even coating and cover each letter.


Tape this bad boy to your wood in the center and trace the letters with your pencil. You will want to press really hard so you can transfer the pencil on the back of the paper to the wood.  Once you are happy with your letters grab your paint and start carefully filling them in.



I felt that they needed a little more detail than just the names, so I added some pretty flowers to the edge of Kaley's sign and a masculine edge to Braxton's sign. Here's a better picture of each sign.



Then I grabbed my trusty command strips and put them on the kids doors. I wanted them high enough that the kids couldn't take them down but still low enough for them to see their names. I think I could have lowered them just a touch, but not enough that I'm willing to waste command strips over it.


 

I love that these signs now define the kids spaces and lets other people know what each room is. And it's great for Braxton to see his name every day as well as see that it marks this room as "his". He was a little confused because he used to be in Kaley's room, and now it's not his space anymore. Hopefully as time goes on he will learn how to associate his name with his things.

These are so easy to make, and you know how I love an easy craft. You don't even need to do this for your kids rooms. These could be made for your laundry room, or even a bathroom. Imagine no longer having to tell people where your bathroom is, just follow the signs people. You're welcome for making your life a little easier.

Kerby

Linking to:
Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday #284 
Two Chicks and a Mom - Funtastic Friday #112 

No comments:

Post a Comment