August 18, 2016

Hairband and Bow Display

Hello everyone and welcome back, today I actually have a craft to share with you guys. Crazy, right? It's been such a long time since I have been able to craft that I was getting rusty, as you would have seen from my Instagram picture a few weeks ago. I burned myself while using my hot glue gun, rookie mistake.

Anyway, I needed to make something to organize and hold all of the hair accessories that come with little girls. I had no idea I would need as many hairbands and bows as I have, but the are very necessary. Trust me, they needed to be bought. For the last several months they have either been sitting on things or stuck into drawers, which lead me to lose a few as well as have them in the way. I had empty space on the back of the door for a storage solution, so I went for it.


This was pretty easy to do, it took a little bit due to the wait between paint coats and hot gluing things, but it was worth it. It's such an inexpensive way to get those hair accessories out on display and organized. All you need is a canvas, paint of your choice, clothespins and ribbon.

I found these canvases at the local dollar store for $1.25 each, so $3 for the two. These exact same ones were $3.99 at the Micheal's two stores down, so glad I stopped there first!


They are 8x10 canvases, but you could do bigger or smaller depending on what type of storage you need. Next I pulled out the same paint I used for Kaley's Pink Fox Art and gave the top a few coats of the light pink and the sides a few of the chiffon rose.


I had a certain idea in mind, but once I started going I realized that it wasn't going to look as good. Nothing wrong with changing your mind in the middle of a project, it's better to make changes as you go then have to start at the beginning to get the look you want. 


I hadn't painted the side colour in the above picture, but you will see it in later pictures. But I loved the light pink as the main colour, and it took three coats until I was happy with the coverage. While I had the paint out, I decided to paint the clothes pins the same colour as the canvas.


These took a few coats in multiple steps because I was trying to make sure that the clothespins didn't get stuck closed. I used some clothespins to hold these open while I painted the inside and left it open until the paint was thoroughly dried. I chose to paint the whole clothespin, back and front, but you can leave one side unpainted because it will be glued to your canvas. 

Then it was time for the design, and I'm going to be honest with you guys, I just kind of winged it. My original design had stripes on the sides and some feminine lines along the front. But after doing one canvas with the stripes I realized it looked better in my mind, so I changed the design and decided to try vines with flowers. 


I measured the center of the canvas and drew one line there, the did two more lines centered on either side. Used a gold metallic sharpie to draw the lines, which I thought might add some sparkle to Kaley's room. I drew branches for flowers in a pattern of sorts, and I decided to make both canvases the same.

Once the sharpie was dry I added painted flowers on the little branches with the chiffon rose paint. I just free handed the flowers where I though they would look good, and it took three coats to get the flowers nice and bright. I then used the end of the paint brush to put a dot of the light pink paint in the center of the flowers.


Once all of this was dry I grabbed my painted clothespins and hot glue gun and chose the placement of the clothespins. I decided that I would put one on the middle line in between the flower bunches, then two on either side on the outside of the lines.


It makes a little more sense once you see the picture. I had originally planned on putting all three clothespins on the lines, but I did not place my flower bunches correctly and would have had to cover some of them. In the end I think this placement worked out better because it gave more room in between the clothespins for hair bows and bands. 

I also hot glued some pink ribbons to the bottom back of the canvas, folding over at the end for a cleaner look. Though I forgot to take pictures of this step. You can see the ribbon and the clean ends in the below pictures.

I grabbed some command strips, two per canvas, and got ready to attach them to the back of Kaley's door. This was the perfect spot because it is close to her closet, but can be out of sight if needed. Trust me, these only look nice in the pictures. Once you start adding everything, they fill up pretty quickly. 

 

I used two command strips per canvas, one on the top and one on the bottom. I find this works better to reattach (at least for me), and if you only put one of the top the bottom will bang on the door when you close it. If you attach to a wall instead, you may be bale to get away with only one command strip.


And that's it! It is a lot of steps, but they are all pretty easy. The hardest part is waiting for the paint to dry between each step, and depending on your design this could take a lot less time. I love that I have somewhere to display her hair bows and such. Before they were just stuffed into a drawer and I could never remember what she had and what fit.    


This would also make a great baby shower gift if you knew what the nursery theme was, and I make actually take my own advice! Have you guys tried making anything to organize the multitude of little girl hair accessories? Feel free to share. Next organizing step for Kaley, shoes. Wish me luck.

Kerby 

Linking to: 
Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday #288 

No comments:

Post a Comment