January 2, 2017

New Gallery Wall Location and Update

Hello everyone and happy new year! I can't believe it's already 2017, and how little I got done in 2016. Hopefully this year I can pull my socks up and get some things accomplished, since my project list is about four pages long now! I guess that's what happens when you have a baby and a toddler, life gets in the way.

Anyway! Back in early 2015 I shared an updated gallery wall on the wall connecting our living and dining room, you can see the original post here. But as a reminder, here is a picture where I left it at the "in progress" stage.


It seemed like the perfect spot and solution to our giant 22 foot wall, but after living with it for almost two years we decided that it was a terrible spot. The pictures closest to our dining room table kept getting knocked off the walls when people would walk around the table. The poor picture frame with Motley in it has been hot glued back together more than once.

So it was time to move the gallery wall, and after much discussion and furniture rearranging we decided to move the couch from in front of our window to this wall. We kept it in the living room portion of the wall, and it was a great decision. Not only does the room flow better, but the Braxton was able to look out the window without sitting on the top of the couch (and sometimes falling into the window).

Once we had the location picked out, I measured and got working on the frame arrangement. Earlier in the summer I had spray painted all the frames that I had waiting to be added to this gallery wall, so I was able to make a much larger display.


Don't mind the terrible picture, I had to do this after the kids went to bed when it was extremely dark out. I didn't want them "helping" me with this because I really didn't feel like replacing frames. And the beautiful tent in the background, don't mind that either. Real life people.

Once I was happy with the placement, I bought enough command strips for an army and conscripted Luis into helping me as well as sending the kids to my parents house for the afternoon. This is definitely a two person job because you need to use multiple levels and measure spacing, all of which I am terrible at. Thank goodness I have a husband who puts up with my decorating decisions.


And there is the final product! I didn't take any pictures of the process since there are many tutorials all over the internet, but it took us about 3 hours in total to get all the frames onto the wall. I love how this turned out! It still has a little tweaking to be done, but for now I am happy with how this turned out.  

And we are loving the living room the way it is now, it's so spacious and there is an amazing amount of room for the kids to play. Which is probably the most important thing to us right now, since we both hate tripping over toys. It will probably stay this way for the foreseeable future.


You can see that I did not include the quote in this new gallery wall, and there were a few reasons. First was that the vinyl was in terrible shape and stopped sticking to the wall, and the second was that I am planning on making a sign that has our last name and an established date on it. This will probably go directly below the shelf and I will move that frame to the right to replace the frame at the top right. I am also planning on either buying or making a marquee letter to go on the shelf, we will see what happens there.

Well, that's it for today! It's a small post but a huge update to us, and I thought that I would share how plans change all the time. What I see in my head doesn't always translate well in real life, or might not always be ideal. You just need to try new things and be willing to adjust and adapt. Feel free to share your gallery walls or suggestions, I love to see and hear them.

Kerby 

No comments:

Post a Comment