April 30, 2014

giving an old hutch some love

Hi again.
 
Today I want to show you guys a before and after of a kijiji (it's like the Canadian Craig's List) find that I stumbled upon for $50.     
I know that seems like a lot, and it is, but for around my area that was a great price. A steal even because similar items were listed for $200 plus!
 
 I did this awhile ago, but I still want to share this with you because I am still in love with it. It's one of the best makeover items that I did in this house.
 
Let me first show you the before.
 

 
We lived with the hutch like this for just over a year. I didn't mind it that much, but the hubby hated it. He said it looked too country for our house. I couldn't argue that it didn't, so I decided to tackle this bad boy.
 
I asked the hubby what he didn't like about it and we both agreed the top had to go. It was too curvy for us. I knew I would miss the storage, but the hubby thought it just made everything looked cluttered.
 
I don't have any pictures during the makeover, but just imagine a ton of sanding. And more sanding. And more sanding (get what I'm saying?). Then staining and sealing. I knew I wanted a fun touch so in came the painting....yes painting. Don't worry, I'm not crazy.
 
Here is the after:
 


I love it.
 
It looks so much better than it did before! We replaced the handles with some more sleek pulls and knobs in a brushed nickel finish. I know the internet loves ORB (oil rubbed bronze), but we are a brushed nickel kind of family. No shame in that.
 
And the fun touch? (if you look really close you can see it in both pictures)
 
 
Isn't that fun?
 
It's a nice surprise when you go looking for the good dishes or the booze. I also painted the sides and the inside of the drawers (I don't remember the colour name, sorry!).
 
 
I can't believe how great it turned out. It gives me motivation to give older furniture a try! If it has good bones, it can be saved! If anyone is wondering what happened to the top, we scrapped it. Once we took it apart it pretty much crumbled.
 
Again the before:
 
 
And the after:
 
 
Still love it.
 
What about you guys? Anybody take something old that doesn't quite fit and give it the makeover it needed?
 
K.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment