May 3, 2014

velvet pumpkins

Hi there!
 
Today I want to share another craft that I did a bit ago that I first saw on Pinterest - velvet pumpkins. I loved the idea of having a décor item for fall that wouldn't rot on me and would be pet/kid friendly.
 
I didn't take pictured during or write a tutorial because there are so many out there. I followed this tutorial from Celebrate Creativity in All it's Forms.
 
It is explained very well and has great step by step pictures. After the first one, they will be a breeze! The hardest step will be finding pumpkin stems and drying them out! (To note, I collected them the year before and let them dry out for months)
 


I bought my velvet from Joann's when it was on sale for about $3 a yard. I had it shipped to me, since I don't live in the same country where there is a Joann's. So it was really about $4 a yard - worth it to me. Except the minimum to ship it two yards per fabric and as you can see I had four colours - therefore I ended up with 8 yards of fabric!
 
I love how they turned out, and that they are not the typical fall colours.
 
 
Here you can see the bottom. Just a quick sew until you get the shape you want.
 
 
I would still love to get some deep jewel tones, like a nice royal purple and burgundy. But it can wait until I have time to run and get the fabric! Let's just say with that much fabric, some friends and family got lucky and were gifted a few!
 
But they are so easy to make, it's worth it for the easy and non rotting qualities.
 
 
Have you guys made any pumpkins for your fall décor? If not, start a collection this fall of some pumpkin stems - You'll thank me!
 
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment